According to Colleen their favorite version came "after many imaginative experiments and countless trips to Northern Virginia's ABC stores: From Brandy's to Cognacs to Grand Marnier's, and Cointreaus, to Vodkas, and lemons...even going so far to try lemon gelatos, Italian Ice, and Orange Creamcicles mixed in." They finally came to select a strong combination of pear infused Cognac and cardamon seeds.
Judges tasting notes include ""spice and pear together make it a good winter drink," and others believe that the flavors of the cardamon was a bit too strong for the sidecar as it was very herbaceous."
The combination of the pear cognac and cardamon was certainly a twist on the traditional sidecar, but nevertheless, an interesting drink to try.
1 part pear infused Brandy or Cognac
1/4 part Grand Marnier
1/4 part fresh squeezed lemon juice
7 muddled cardamon seeds (remove the hull first)
Pear Slice (garnish)
red, white, and blue sugar
- Fill a martini glass and set aside to chill
- In a cocktail shaker, include ice, pear Cognac, Grand Marnier, lemon juice and cardamon seeds
- Take the reserved martini glass and dump out the ice
- Rim the glass with lemon juice and sugar (in equal amounts red, white, and blue sugar)
- Pour contents of shaker in the glass
- Garnish with a pear slice