The Cranberry Mojito got high marks for presentation and good marks for taste. Tasting notes included "maple flavor", "good mouth feel", "simple syrup creation was a nice touch", "molasses taste", and "different but still a mojito".
1 tsp of fresh Cranberries (go light here)
1 tsp of turbinado sugar
2 tsp of Cranberry simple syrup (see below)
2 lime wedges
8 sprigs of mint
2 1/2 oz of Gosling's Black Rum
Club Soda to finish
Cranberry Simple Syrup:
1 1/2 Cups of Simple Syrup (50/50 sugar to water)
2 Cinnamon Sticks
Zest from 1 Orange
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 1/2 Cups white rum
Making the Cranberry Simple Syrup (adapted from Mix Shake Stir):
1. In a saucepan, combine simple syrup, cinnamon sticks, and orange zest and bring to a boil.
2. Add cranberries and cook until their skins begin to split. Cook one more minute.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Strain the liquid into a glass jar.
4. Add the cranberries to the jar, discarding the cinnamon and orange zest.
5. Add the rum and allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Making the Cranberry Mojito:
1. Muddle cranberries, sugar, cranberry simple syrup, lime wedges and mint.
2. Add ice and Gosling Black Rum. Shake.
3. Pour into glass, top with club soda.
4. Garnish with cranberries from simple syrup and sprig of mint.
The Cranberry Mojito is a great looking winter drink with a nice tart cranberry taste.